The Lancashire Planning Framework to Support Curriculum Development
EYFS staff use Development Matters and the Lancashire Planning Framework to structure their curriculum. Broad links are then shown on the Trees of Learning to help KS1 teacher see children's prior experiences and build on these.
This planning framework links to the Statutory Framework for the EYFS and the development bands 30-50 months and 40-60 months within the Non Statutory Guidance – Development Matters. All areas of learning and development and their respective aspects as well as the three characteristics of effective teaching and learning form the basis of the planning tool.
Each aspect is divided into a number of sub-sections which includes the following:
• Links to the Statutory Framework for EYFS early learning goals, and the development matters month bands for 30-50 months and 40-60 months.
• An overview of the skills, knowledge and concepts (key learning) relevant to the aspect of learning and development.
• An overview of opportunities and experiences which should be provided to support the development of key learning (skills, knowledge and concepts) specific to the aspect.
• Sample activities to promote the development of key learning relevant to the aspect. The activities provided are only a suggestion of a few ideas to support each area of learning. They are not a definitive list and therefore should be added to, developed and extended as appropriate to the needs of the children or linked to the school or settings existing provision for EYFS.
• Suggestions of possible resources, materials and websites to support each area of learning/aspect.
• Vocabulary – sample of appropriate and relevant vocabulary.
• Questions – sample of types of questions to support effective questioning. (This is only in some sections)